In-Home Supportive Services
About the Program
In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) is a program operated by the California Department of Social Services and which provides assistance to eligible individuals who are aged, blind, and/or disabled, and who would be unable to remain safely in their own homes without assistance. IHSS is an alternative to out-of-home care, such as a nursing home or a board and care facility.
In Tuolumne County, the Department of Social Services administers the IHSS program. The Tuolumne County Department of Social Services is committed to assisting elderly, disabled adults, and blind individuals to reside independently in the least restrictive environment, according to their personal capabilities.
In an effort to assist eligible individuals to remain safely within their homes, the IHSS program is staffed with social workers trained to assess eligible individuals’ needs to receive assistance with completing activities of daily living.
Applying for IHSS
Individuals who are interested in receiving IHSS need to complete an application or contact the Tuolumne County Department of Social Services. A Tuolumne County Department of Social Services IHSS Social Worker will schedule an appointment to come to the individual’s home to conduct an assessment of the individual’s eligibility for IHSS, their ability to live safely at home, whether the need for IHSS is expected to last 12 consecutive months or longer, their medical condition, living arrangement, ability to perform daily living activities, and the need for referrals to other community resources.
If the individual is determined eligible and authorized for IHSS, he or she chooses an independent care provider to assist with performing daily living tasks according to the hours authorized. A family member or friend may serve as an independent care provider or the individual may ask for referrals to interview potential care providers. Independent care providers complete the enrollment process through the Tuolumne County Department of Social Services; however, the IHSS recipient is considered the employer.
To apply for IHSS you may complete an application found here:
Social Services Application
- Once the application is complete, please send it to:
Tuolumne County Department of Social ServicesOr contact the Tuolumne County Department of Social Services IHSS program at (209) 533-7352 or (209) 533-5711
ATTN: IHSS PROGRAM
20075 Cedar Road North
Sonora, CA 95370.
To qualify for the IHSS Program:
- You must be a California resident.
- You must be aged (65 and over), blind, or disabled.
- You must have a Medi-Cal eligibility determination.
- You must live at home or an abode of your own choosing.
- You must submit a completed Health Care Certification form.
- Have low income as set by SSI/SSP standards. If income exceeds SSI/SSP standards, individuals may be eligible with a share of cost. IHSS Services are based on an assessment of individual need and may include:
- Personal Care Services such as bowel / bladder care, feeding, bathing, grooming, ambulation, and transferring, respiration, and paramedical services (under a doctor's orders)
- Domestic related services such as, preparation of meals, meal clean-up, basic household chores, shopping and other errands, and laundry
- Medication set up and transportation to medical appointments
- Protective supervision with consideration from the individual’s primary care physician and thorough assessment from an IHSS Social Worker that is based on an individual's cognitive functioning
Becoming an Independent Care Provider
If you are interested in becoming an independent care provider for the IHSS program please contact The Department of Social Services at 209-533-7352.
You can view an educational video on how to properly complete the new IHSS timesheet here
TIMESHEET PROCESSING FACILITY ADDRESS:
PO BOX 2380
CHICO, CA. 95927-2380