Keep Baby Safe
Keep Baby Safe Program
Tuolumne County Public Health's Keep Baby Safe program provides education on proper child safety seat usage through car seat classes and installation coaching.
The program offers free convertible or booster car seats (while supplies last) to caregivers* who are participants of:
- Cal WORKS
- Cal Fresh
*Caregiver must participate in a guided installation of the car seat
$20 coupons toward a booster seat or convertible car seat at Sonora Wal-Mart are available (as supplies last) for those who participate in a car seat education class offered through our Car Seat Technicians.
Car Seat Technicians
Certified child passenger safety seat technicians:
- Paula Sarantopoulos - 209-533-7413
- Alex Parnell - 209-533-7469
Children Left in Vehicles
(V.C. 15620 ) A child six years old or less may not be left alone in a vehicle if the health or safety of the child is at risk, the engine is running, or the keys are in the ignition (unless supervised by someone at least age 12).
Current California Passenger Safety Law
- Children under 2 years of age shall ride in a rear-facing car seat unless the child weighs 40 or more pounds OR is 40 or more inches tall. The child shall be secured in a manner that complies with the height and weight limits specified by the manufacturer of the car seat. (California Vehicle Code Section 27360.)
- Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the backseat.
- Children who are 8 years of age OR have reached 4'9" in height may be secured by a booster seat, but at a minimum must be secured by a safety belt. (California Vehicle Code Section 27363.)
- Passengers who are 16 years of age and over are subject to California's Mandatory Seat Belt law.
CHP Car Seat Installation Guides
- Rear-facing car seat installation: https://youtu.be/E4cCaFKEolE
- Forward-facing car seat installation: https://youtu.be/630wwp4Uz88
- Booster seat installation: https://youtu.be/1dzYHlS85nI
- LATCH system installation: https://youtu.be/crlqPcJd8u4
- Locking Clip/Lock-Off use: https://youtu.be/e2QKoVaHJAM
- Seat belt readiness: https://youtu.be/gByHDat1xoc